On 7/14/2013 7:19 PM, Ary Borenszweig wrote:
On 7/14/13 5:20 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/14/2013 2:30 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
I think it madness that the site is written in Ddoc.

Different, sure. Madness - why?

If you look at for example this file:

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/lex.dd

All I see is HTML with a different syntax. You can achieve the same using html
tags (<h4> instead of $(H4)) and div ids or classes, then applying css rules.

HTML doesn't work for other kinds of output that is supported by the makefiles - ebook, pdf, etc.

I wrote the original Digital Mars web site in plain html. That's what motivated me to invent Ddoc. I'm at least twice as productive in Ddoc, maybe even 4 times. For example, if I want to change the copyright notice, I can:

1. edit hundreds of files

   -- or --

2. edit a Ddoc macro

It's no contest.

If somebody wants to contribute, it's sure easy to understand HTML. But
understanding DDoc requires more knowledge, so less chance of receiving
contributions.

Ddoc isn't any harder than any of the innumerable markup languages out there, like mediawiki.