On 09/09/13 09:58, Russel Winder wrote:
Debian Unstable has Monodevelop 4.0.5, which means it should be in
Ubuntu 14.04 by default.

I'm reasonably sure it'll be in Ubuntu 13.10 by default too. I'll probably try it out then.

This is an important issue for take up. If something isn't in the main
repository of the distribution and requires lots of other things also
not in the main distribution then it may get take up from "bleeding
edge" folk but it will not get mainstream take up. The Ubuntu PPA is
useful for the Ubuntu distributions but of no use to Debian, Mint,
Fedora, RHEL, Arch, OS X. (Windows is just beyond the pale ;-)

Getting things into the main Debian, Fedora and Arch repositories seems
like the best way of maximizing take up in the Linux community. Getting
things into MacPorts and HomeBrew (the former for me), maximizes take up
in the OS X community, even if DMG files are provided.

I'd add Ubuntu also to that list, simply because of the number of users -- it's helpful to ensure that every 6 months, such a widely-used distro has the latest D tools.