On Monday, 9 September 2013 at 16:12:00 UTC, Brian Rogoff wrote:
On Sunday, 8 September 2013 at 11:48:06 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
Am 08.09.2013 13:24, schrieb Russel Winder:
On Sun, 2013-09-08 at 00:35 +0200, Paulo Pinto wrote:
[…]
To make it more clear, the ML family of languages, Pascal family of languages, even JVM and .NET environments have native compilers available. You just have to look for them.

IMO, D has more potential as a native code compilation target than Java, C#, and ML, at least in theory, because I should be able to control and even disable garbage collection. So, even users of managed languages may want to examine D.

-- Brian

I really hate the term managed language coined by Microsoft with
.NET's introduction.

What makes a language managed?

A GC? Then D is also managed.

Compiling to a VM? Then Java is native when I use the Excelsior JET compiler.

Strong typing? Then Ada is managed.

One type of consulting projects we do is port C++ code to .NET/JVM environments.

I can assure that given the proper expertise how to code in a GC friendly way, GC is no a bottleneck than having to write special tuned versions of malloc()/free().

In D's case it is currently an issue, given that the current implementation is not as advanced as what is available in other runtimes.

--
Paulo