Hello Vladimir,

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 08:23:11 +0300, BCS <n...@anon.com> wrote:

libs? maybe. Tools? No! I hate "installeres" that go out and download
what they are supposed to install. For one thing it make it really
hard  to archive your toolchain.

This would imply that you (and other users) would have to download the
entire toolchain every time one tool updates.

The same people who want to archive there tool chains will pick one version and stick with it. That's the point of archiving it; so that you can keep a copy of that verion around.

That said, I'd be fine with an installer that offers to go find the latest versions. Or replace the whole thing with a list of links to installers for each component.

Also I think it's pretty clear that Walter would rather have the
installer download DMD rather than include it.

I think what is clear is that Walter wants DMD to get distributed from the digitalmars site. I suspect if we get a setup working where he can generate the installer by running a single script that he would have no issue putting the result up there.

What's wrong with compressing your entire D folder, including all
settings?

For me? Nothing. But if that's the option, I'll just skip the installer all together and just download dmd.*.zip