Daniel Keep escribió:

BCS wrote:
I guess it's just that an installer that needs anything else (including
an internet connection) to install seems utterly pointless to me. In my
book an installer is firstly the data to be installed and secondly a
tool to configure it. When I download an installer, I want to know that
it will work where ever and when ever I have that file. Even if Walter
decides to shutdown digitalmars so he can go off and become a monk.

One thing I should probably have made explicit: the Cygwin setup program
downloads all packages as you request them, *and keeps a local cache*.

Let's say you wanted to install D on a machine with no 'net access.
Grab the installer, put it on a 'net-connected machine, select what you
want and check a "download only" option.  Then you can archive the whole
directory for later.

Anything worth looking at will do the only things I think a DMD
installer should do.

The only reason I don't suggest putting together a simple installer
is... I just don't see the point.  Lacking any sort of "bundle-ready"
IDE or documentation, what would it do?

I suppose it'd be trivial to knock together something that just extracts
the archive and sets the PATH.  I just have a very hard time accepting
that there exist "programmers" THAT lazy and/or stupid.

Oh to hell with it.

It's not about being lazy!

If you can double click a file and it does all the things for you, why would you want to do it manually?

It's actually a programmers philosophy. If you can write a program that does the things for you, instead of you having to do them manually, why not?