On Sunday, 15 September 2013 at 18:02:10 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
Vladimir, do you think you could easily implement such an incremental search box (with autocompletion)?

Sorry, that idea does not appeal to me either. Web browsers already have the function of searching within a page. An in-page search box is not a common UI element, users would need to learn to use it, and that's bad UX - we should stick to existing UI conventions to avoid forcing the users to think to get to their dox.

I think an index like the one std.algorithm has, and that ddox attempts to generate automatically, is really the best solution from all sides. It provides a birds-eye view of the whole module useful to new users; it allows quickly finding the sought function through its table layout and categorization; and, the first Ctrl+F hit for a symbol name will likely be a link to the symbol, with a short synopsis nearby it. It's pretty hard to beat.

I think this is the direction we need, and that it's not worth considerably changing things with interim solutions (which will impact D users who consult the documentation often) that are more of a trade-off rather than an improvement.

Implementation-wise:

I assume Ddox has failed to be integrated because it was a server-side process. It also places each symbol in its own file, which will break existing links. Perhaps it be feasible to reimplement only its basic index-table functionality in JavaScript, to replace the word-blob/dropdown?

Symbol documentation could contain macros which render to invisible HTML, which is picked up by the index-table JS for metadata like categorization.