On Wednesday, 2 October 2013 at 18:21:45 UTC, Wyatt wrote:
You could say snippets go in comments, but in the first place people WILL misuse and abuse them for other things. What are you going to do? Delete the questions? Tell them to go to D.learn? Heaven forbid you ANSWER it! That just encourages them. And what if it goes off-topic? Is there ever a "right time" to discuss array semantics in the std.string.chomp docs? Doesn't matter; it'll happen.

I haven't seen questions in PHP's comments. Anyhow, those will probably be just downvoted.

But even presuming we keep this a utopian column of code spew... well, take a stroll through stackoverflow. You know what you find? A lot of commenters who don't have much clue on the quality of their snippets. Alas, "Thanks, this worked" and up the vote goes, regardless of whether or not it's incredibly fragile. It's a "blind leading the blind" scenario. (http://i.stack.imgur.com/ssRUr.gif)

The comments, of course, provide no guarantees, and are fully community driven.

Disqus is the worst idea of all because Disqus is external infrastructure under someone else's control. When -- not "if" -- Disqus dies (goes belly-up, or gets acquired, or otherwise fails critically at existence), what do you suppose happens to the people who used it everywhere? Sure, they have an XML export format. I couldn't find their DTD posted anywhere, so have fun making heads or tails of it. Presuming you have the time for exporting. If you don't, well... you're boned, good game, peace out? Not acceptable. Not even remotely.

Also, a Javascript monstrosity.

I don't have strong feelings about Disqus, but it does it's job.
Anyhow, my point was about comments in general, not specifically about Disqus.

Also, voting does not preclude the need for moderation.

IMO voting is a kind of (community driven) moderation.