On Sunday, 6 October 2013 at 16:33:24 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 04/10/13 12:02, John Colvin wrote:
I propose that the current review process be redirected to a new target package in the phobos repo, stdx, which would then have a separate review process for
inclusion in std.

Just a thought after reading through the discussion on std.d.lexer, but -- isn't this what etc library modules are for?

See: http://dlang.org/phobos/index.html

etc
This is the root of a hierarchy of modules mirroring the std hierarchy. Modules in etc are not standard D modules. They are here because they are experimental, or for some other reason are not quite suitable for std,
    although they are still useful.

I like the idea of dub.stdx: peer-reviewed, officially endorsed and rubber stamped modules

* It provides a BOOST like repository of high quality peer-reviewed D libraries.

* It decouples the modules from the Phobos+compiler release schedule.

* It allows users to download official libraries individually, without upgrading compiler/Phobos or using git head.

* It provides a place official D libraries too big for Phobos. I'm thinking of a Matlab toolbox type of repository with high quality code. 3D/2D Gfx, GUI, image processing libraries, linear-algebra, machine learning libraries etc. etc.

* Dub might be able to collect stats on downloads per module and provide information about the popularity and amount of real-world use a module receives before proposing for Phobos.std.

Cheers