On 12/14/2013 9:39 AM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 06:01:10PM -0800, Walter Bright wrote:
On 12/13/2013 6:52 AM, Dicebot wrote:
I was so scarred from the experience that when I saw that D supported
unicode natively, I was totally sold.

Funny story about that. Before I started D, I worked on a C++ project that had to work with Unicode. I ran into all the same issues you did, and also decided that wchar_t was unusable with Unicode. I spent a lot of time getting the Unicode stuff to work correctly. I was so scarred from the experience (!) that I decided that proper Unicode support was an absolute must for D.

12. forward referencing (no need to declare everything twice)
Not an issue. C programmers are not tired from typing.

C programs tend to be written "bottom up" to avoid forward
references. This is not convenient.

I still do that even in D programs, because DMD's handling of forward
references is, shall we say, quirky? It works most of the time, but
sometimes you get odd errors because certain symbol resolution
algorithms used by dmd will produce unexpected results if you don't
declare certain symbols beforehand. So it's not completely order-free,
but also not completely order-dependent, but something nebulous in
between. Me, I play it safe and just write things the C way, so that I
never run into these kinds of issues.

dmd's forward reference issues come from a bad design choice in the compiler implementation. I've been gradually fixing the design, and things have gotten a lot better. For example, with the latest release you can forward reference enum members, even in the same enum definition!