On Dec 14, 2013 10:51 PM, "Walter Bright" <newshou...@digitalmars.com>
wrote:

> On 12/14/2013 11:46 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
>>
>> I honestly don't know how one would be able to make AsmStatement work
>> for non-x86 architectures.  At least this is not possible in GDC
>> unless you want to resort to doing things in a way that are shamed
>> upon (like checking the definition of a particular TARGET macro :)
>

> I have no idea why it would be hard for non-x86?

Unlike dmd - gdc (the front end language) doesn't know/doesn't care about
what precise platform/target it is compiling for from within gcc's
framework. It may know features of the target - pointer size, real type,
va_list, which direction the stack grows - just not enough to know which
architecture to interpret for. So writing an assembler for ARM was an
interesting exercise, but gave zero brownie points in terms of usefulness.