On Wednesday, 25 December 2013 at 21:06:46 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
On 12/25/2013 12:43 PM, Gordon wrote:
> In "C", the variable "a" would contain only "hello";
> In "D", the variable "a" would contain "hello world 42";

That is by design. Since a string can contain space characters, the normal behavior is to read everything as a part of the the string. scanf is defined differently.

Thank you, Ali - this explains few other discrepancies I found (or just didn't expect).

Since it all started with "slurp" for me, I now see that using "slurp" correctly is much trickier than I expected.

Oh well..