On Thursday, 26 December 2013 at 00:22:14 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:

Yah, that's intentional. scanf has its usefulness slashed to a fraction because of the way it handles strings. People added %[...] to compensate for that; I chose to just fix it.

I like the fixes, it just that the interface *looks* the same (format specifiers and all), but the implementation is different (and mostly undocumented? or perhaps I missed it...) - so the results were surprising to me.

Related, I've submitted a tiny patch to count parsed variables in a tuple, here:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/1812

Hope this is the right way to send patches...

-gordon