On Thursday, 2 January 2014 at 11:37:22 UTC, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
I don't think we should worry too much about standards compliance. A library Complex type is quite different from a hardware floating-point type.

Are you sure?

Sometimes you need to translate an algorithm, you don't understand the inner workings of, from a codebase/cookbook. If std.complex differs from the most used c++/fortran implementations people will be confused, and you also end up having (machine translated) algorithm libraries each supplying their own complex type. Use 3 different libraries and you have to deal with 3 different complex types.

Floating point is rather sensitive to reordering of instructions, so I'd say you'll be better off mirroring one of the major existing implementations, otherwise accumulated discrepancies will be blamed on the language... A new tool that produce the same results as the old proven dinosaur tool look trustworthy. It makes you think that the conversion of your algorithms to the new tool was a success.