On Thursday, 2 January 2014 at 23:26:48 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 02/01/14 23:26, Lars T. Kyllingstad wrote:
* You can do calculations involving purely real-valued numbers and complex numbers and not run into the same issues, because purely real values are supported. So you should be able to do the same with purely imaginary
    numbers.

That argument is fallacious. Imaginary numbers are quite different from real
numbers.

Can you expand on that?

Mathematically, the real numbers are a ring, whereas the purely imaginary numbers are not. (I've been out of the abstract algebra game for a couple of years now, so please arrest me if I've remembered the terminology wrongly.) What it boils down to is that they are not closed under multiplication, which gives them radically different properties - or lack thereof.