On Sunday, 12 January 2014 at 02:11:18 UTC, Manu wrote:
But pure functions can (and do) return their arguments, and it's obviously not a 'strongly pure' function. So I just can't see how the assertion that
it should be unique stands?

That's the bug. Your function isn't strongly pure, so the result shouldn't be convertible to immutable and isn't necessarily unique. Only strongly pure functions can have results convertible to immutable.

Also, I was under the impression a 'strongly pure' function's arguments only need to be const, not necessarily immutable. Purity says something about the transformation performed by the function, nothing about the data
it operates on.
Why should all arguments need to be immutable?

You don't need immutable arguments for purity, just strong purity. It's a stronger guarantee, more than normally guaranteed. Think of strong purity as pure + referentially transparent.

Sorry, yes you're right, they only need to be const. And it is only if you return a mutable value that the result becomes convertible to immutable.

int* f(const(int)* x); // convertible
const(int)* f(const(int)* x); // not-convertible

This is safe in the first instance because the result could not have come from x due to x being const. In the second instance, the result could have come from x, so it cannot be implicitly converted to immutable.