On Tuesday, 14 January 2014 at 12:02:45 UTC, Matt Taylor wrote:
Indeed, though OpenInventor is a 3D scene graph of course. I don't think it's advisable to try and shoehorn 2D and 3D into one system.

I agree, it is better to do 2D well. If you mix 2D with 3D, then it is better to do it as projection of 2D onto 3D surfaces. Like povray does it in it's scenegraph (2D is extruded into 3D textures).

Besides things are happening fast now on the hardware end with real time raytracing on high end hardware (OctaneRender, Brigade etc). It is just a matter of time before scene graphs take over 3D anyway...