On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 05:26:39 -0400, Walter Bright <newshou...@digitalmars.com> wrote:

Lutger wrote:
It's interesting why unittest (and assert) are such big success. My idea is that it's not in spite of, but because of their utter simplicity. I speculate that if it would have been different, for example if you would had to create a new file for a unittest, it would not have been used so much.

I tend to agree. I've found over and over, that if you drive things down to their simplest essence, they'll get wide adoption. If someone needs to read a manual with long lists of options, they'll pass it by.

For instance, look at the installer thing. I think that downloading a zip file, and unzipping it, is so trivial. Yet this seems to be a blocker for people using D, over and over I hear about how hard it is to install. I find this baffling. But yet, it's obviously an issue.

Downloading, unzipping (where?), setting up your path, marking the binary as executable (on *nix).

Much easier to use the OS's installer and let the package tell me how to set it up.

Getting the files and expanding them isn't the difficult part :)

-Steve