On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:42:08 -0000, Dicebot <pub...@dicebot.lv> wrote:

On Wednesday, 29 January 2014 at 10:13:44 UTC, Regan Heath wrote:
I will go and check in docs in most case if I have not encountered it before. Check each time for every new aliases. I'd hate to have this overhead.

Huh? Assuming you have a decent editor checking the docs should be as simple as pressing F1 on the unknown function.

It requires your mental context switching anyway.

And, that's only assuming it's not immediately obvious what it's doing. Are you telling me, that you would be confused by seeing...

if (str.contains("hello"))

I won't be confused but I won't also be sure. For example, it may return boolean or inclusion count. `str` can be string of array of strings. With uniform ranges-based algorithms I can always expect consistent interpretation (or rant about inconsistent naming :)

I seriously doubt that, and that's all I'm suggesting, adding aliases for things which are obvious, things which any beginner will expect to be there, and currently aren't there.

I don't buy into appealing to imaginary "any beginner" which has expectations identical to other "any beginner". My observations show quite the contrary - that those expectations are actually often different and incompatible and best way for a language is to force beginners to switch to expectations of the language.

*shrug* agree to disagree on all points.