On Monday, 10 February 2014 at 22:42:30 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
That would be _encouraging_ the use of importing whole packages at once, which I don't think that we're looking to do. If some folks want to do that with their own projects, fine, but the feature was introduced specifically in order to split of larger modules into packages, not to treat packages as modules.

Prohibiting alternative is not "discouraging", it is prohibiting. Discouraging is providing both options and clearly stating which one is recommended. So far D has been a very permissive language in terms of user choice, it is strange to suddenly start making restrictions here.