On Sunday, 23 February 2014 at 13:07:27 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
23-Feb-2014 16:57, Walter Bright пишет:
On 2/23/2014 4:25 AM, Tove wrote:
The DIP should probably specify what happens if inlining fails,
i.e. generate a compilation error.

I suspect that may cause problems, because different compilers will have different inlining capabilities. I think it should be a 'recommendation'
to the compiler.

It's going to be near useless if it doesn't make sure inlining happened. Part of the reason for forced inline is always inlining some core primitives, even in debug builds.

The other point is what Vladimir mentioned - we already doing micro-optimization, hence it better error out then turn a blind eye on our tinkering. I wouldn't not like to ever have to get down and look at ASM for every function just to make sure it was inlined.

That is most likely when I would make use of the concept too. And a message from the compiler in its output telling me when such an inline request failed would be helpful.

Joseph