On 2/23/2014 5:01 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
I think there should be some way to force the compiler to inline a function. As
a bonus, the error message can tell the programmer why the function could not be
inlined, allowing them to make the necessary adjustments.

Different compilers will have different inlining capabilities, however at the
point where programmers are forcing inlining on or off, they are already
micro-optimizing at a level which implies dependency on particular compiler
implementations.

I think it would be a porting nuisance to error out when the compiler can't inline. The user would then fix it by versioning out for that compiler, and then the user is back to the same state as it being a recommendation.

Generally, when I optimize at that level, I have a window open on the assembler output of the compiler and I go back and forth on the source code until I get the shape of the assembler I need. Having compiler messages wouldn't be very helpful.