On Monday, 24 February 2014 at 11:25:18 UTC, Rikki Cattermole wrote:

This semester I'm having to learn Python as part of my degree. Unfortunately.
From a period of 5 hours today I have already gleamed this:

You youngsters, you learn it all so fast! (Just kidding :-)))

Python community doesn't really care about 64 bit much;

OK maybe

50 ways to do something? sure

But the python principle is "there's only one way to do it"

but lets not make it really really amazing.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough :-)

Building very large systems is best done like laying out a tableau of cards, you do the first 7, then another 7 on top etc. If you try to get it perfect first time you'll get it wrong and probably never finish it anyway.

Over complicated? not really, needs more in fact.

Not sure what you mean?

From coming from the D perspective it can be quite challenging for me. I would rather as a community we focus on projects together (which we do quite well already) than split off and do our own thing. The other thing is, making things just work. In as many use cases as possible.

With open source projects each person scratches their own itch - it's really hard to find people who will do what other people want, for free. Having said that, I'm not sure what you mean, can you elaborate?

I usually go in the deep end when I start learning a language so this probably doesn't reflect the python community completely.

It's a very large heterogeneous community so hard to typecast...

I'm very interested in how you get on so keep posting...