On Friday, 28 February 2014 at 11:21:51 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Thursday, 27 February 2014 at 19:54:04 UTC, w0rp wrote:
On Thursday, 27 February 2014 at 18:37:51 UTC, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
On Thursday, 27 February 2014 at 18:20:20 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
clip

Like it or not, JavaScript is good enough.

Really? I've been stuck for the past week or so trying to put together a browser based UI using JavaScript + HTML for a work related project. It has been a painful experience. In fairness to JavaScript, I didn't know the language very well coming in, but still I've found working in this setting rather frustrating.

If the future of applications is really client-server based applications, where the client is basically a VM (if we consider the browser a VM of sorts) surely there is room for a better development model than this HTML + Javascript mongrel.

I developed 99% of the JavaScript part of an application for a year, and I have extensive JavaScript knowledge. After all that, I wrote this. https://w0rp.com/blog/post/javascript-sucks/

@Craig&w0rp

I really do understand yeez. Really. At the moment I'm working with JS (again). Nightmare. Disaster. The server side is programmed in D, the user (client) side needs JS, ain't no other way. I have made a real, real, real, reeeeel effort, I've tried to replicate, mimic, emulate, imitate ... (running out of words here) every good programming pattern ever invented. But to no avail. JS is madness and I seriously don't understand why it has survived the way it is, why people just didn't abandon it years ago. It is madness. Frustration. Alienation. Every time I write something in JS, I feel like a complete programming novice, with the only difference that I know exactly what I want and how I would do it in any other programming language. But not so in JS. It defies reason and common human logic. JS degrades programmers. Years of experience are naught, you have to beg and cajole, you're at the mercy of a psychopathic tyrant. Whenever I program in JS I become highly irritable. When I program in D, I'm calm, I know what I want, and I know I will get it. I don't understand why we haven't got over JS yet. The Internet is so important and we still have to program things in JS. I don't get it. Now don't mention PHP with me ...

"There is another option here. Use another programming language."

Thanks for this blog. Whenever I program in JS everything feels rather 'undefined'. I would love to see the day when JS becomes obsolete.