On Saturday, 8 March 2014 at 12:13:07 UTC, logicchains wrote:
On Saturday, 8 March 2014 at 11:23:17 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
I guess D could be said to have actors already using spawn and the
message queue.

In std.concurrency, the documentation states that: "Right now, only in-process threads are supported and referenced by a more specialized handle called a Tid. It is effectively a subclass of Cid, with additional features specific to in-process messaging". Is there any timeline on when out-process threads will be supported? I think that would bring D closer to being able to achieve Erlang style concurrency.

There's already a pull request in place to support green threads. If you mean IPC, we really need serialization first, and it would be nice to have a decent network API as well. But I've been meaning to sort out a prototype anyway. Tid will remain the reference to a thread regardless of which process it lives in, and I'll be adding a Node type.