As a "new kid", I'm really baffled by by how much discussion in the developers scene is done in mailing lists. I strongly believe that mailing-lists are not suited for heated discussions on very specific issues. I even belive it's counter-productive when comparing the discussion flow with modern forum software. By modern forum software I mean discussion centric software like disqus[1].

My appeal is it to switch to a more modern forum software (even though I value really much, that the current webforum is implemented in D).

Is there anything specific holding us back?

[1] http://disqus.com