On 3/12/14, 5:02 PM, Chris Williams wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 March 2014 at 22:50:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
But we nearly lost a major client over it.

We're past the point where we can break everyone's code.

As someone who would like to be able to use D as a language,
professionally, it's more important to me that D gain future clients
than that it maintains the ones that it has. Even more important is that
it does both of those things.

The saying goes, "you can't make a bucket of yogurt without a spoonful of rennet". The pattern of resetting customer code into the next version must end. It's the one thing that both current and future users want: a pattern of stability and reliability.

I like the idea of having final: and !final:, but I think that compiler
flags are the right answer for how to approach defaulting final.

Sorry, no. We are opposed to having compiler flags define language semantics.