Reply to Andrei,

Stewart Gordon wrote:

One of these reasons was to open the option of evaluating
subexpressions in parallel.  I'm not sure what the others were, but
another optimisation potential that comes to my mind is to minimise
the working memory while still allowing expressions to be written in
an intuitive order.

Who has decided that these reasons are no longer good, and why?

Note that operations can still be evaluated in parallel
as long as there's no dependencies between them.

Andrei

You could go with "apparent order", that is the code can work anyway it wants as long as the end effect is the same as if the order was per the spec.