On Saturday, 22 March 2014 at 12:06:37 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
I suspect a rewrite of QuantLib in D is a bad idea, much better to create an adapter and offer it to the QuantLib folks. The ones they have already tend to be created using SWIG. JQuantLib is an attempt to rewrite QuantLib in pure Java, but I do not know if it is gaining any
traction over the Java adapter to QuantLib.

I guess it depends on the goal. The OP was interested in replacing C++ with D for quant work. If the goal is to use QuantLib functionality in D then you are correct - wrappers are the way to go. But if you want to push D into the quant side of things and show off the benefits there are not many bragging rights to having a great wrapper over C++. I think the exercise of moving some of QuantLib to D would be the education of the benefits/drawbacks of that move and the hope it would be representative of the D vs C++ tradeoffs for quant programming in general.

The angle here to get D traction would be to have the data visualization capability: the reason for the success of SciPy, R, Julia has been very fast turnaround of changes to the models and the rendering of the
results of the computations.

Data storage for high volume would also be nice. A D implementation of HDF5, via wrappers or otherwise, would be a very useful project. Imagine how much more friendly the API could be in D. Python's tables library makes it very simple. You have to choose a language to not only process and visualize data, but store and access it as well.

Thanks
Dan