On Saturday, 5 April 2014 at 20:47:29 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/2/2014 3:07 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
One downside of this proposal is that if we ever (perish the thought!) attempted
to interface to C++ templates, this design would preclude that.

Yes, this seems to be a fatal flaw. Another design that has evolved from these discussions and my discussions with Andrei on it:

    extern (C++, namespace = A.B) { void foo(); void bar(); }
    extern (C++, namespace = C) void foo();

    bar();  // works
    A.B.bar(); // works
    foo(); // error: ambiguous
    C.foo();   // works

    alias C.foo foo;
    foo();  // works, calling C.foo()

I really think the namespace semantics should be attached to the extern(C++) rather than be a separate pragma. Having the namespace= thing means that namespace isn't a keyword, and provides a general mechanism where we can add language specific information as necessary.

I actually like this idea the most. It is clean, and easy to understand.