On Wednesday, 16 April 2014 at 23:14:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 4/16/2014 3:45 PM, "Ola Fosheim Grøstad" I've written several myself that do not use malloc.

If it is shared or can call brk() it should be annotated.

Even the Linux kernel does not use malloc. Windows offers many ways to allocate memory without malloc. Trying to have a core language detect attempts to write a storage allocator is way, way beyond the scope of what is reasonable for it to do.

Library and syscalls can be marked, besides you can have dynamic tracing in debug mode.

And, frankly, I don't see a point for such a capability.

Safe and contention free use of libraries in critical code paths. The alternative is to guess if it is safe to use.

malloc is hardly the only problem people will encounter with realtime callbacks. You'll want to avoid disk I/O, network access, etc., too.

Yes, all syscalls. But malloc is easier to overlook and it might call brk() seldom, so detecting it without support might be difficult.