On Tuesday, 10 June 2014 at 11:35:32 UTC, Puming wrote:
On Tuesday, 10 June 2014 at 11:09:41 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
On 10/06/14 10:12, Sönke Ludwig wrote:

But yes, it's definitely not what you want to have for D. I'm not sure how much can be done about that, though - except from rewriting the CTFE engine with performance in mind (maybe even using a JIT compiler). Or maybe it's possible to be more liberal with algorithmic optimizations
when the CTFE memory usage brought to a reasonable level.

Can the templates be compiled in a separate phase, not using CTFE but as a regular compiler?

Or, just like ctRegx vs regx, can we have a runtime version of diet template that runs slower but doesn't need to compile? It would be great for development phase.

We can't because Diet templates may contain arbitrary D code inline.