On 6/15/2014 4:53 PM, w0rp wrote:
I'm going to try my hand at making a game with 2.066, because I believe
@nogc is a final piece in a puzzle of making doing that easy. Much like
writing bare metal D code without the runtime, I'm going to try my hand
at writing D code with the main function marked as @nogc, because I
reckon it's going to leave me with a saner set of syntax and semantics
than either C or C++ in the end, with none of the drawbracks from the
stop the world effect in a game loop.

Having said that, I do think there's some kind of brain malfunction on
the part of games programmers that makes them think "is slow and can't
escape from" when they hear "garbage collector" and "makes things more
complicated and slower" when they hear "template." Neither of these
things are true.

I think C++ has caused a lot of brain damage to a lot of unfortunate souls.

In addition to giving templates a bad name, I think C++ has done a lot to damage the reputations of both static typing and native compilation. I attribute the VM obsession of the early 2000's, and the big surge in dynamic popularity, largely to C and C++ for being misleading-but-popular examples of static typing and native compilation.

C++'s lack of finally didn't do any favors for exception handling's popularity, either. (Has "finally" finally been added?)