On Sunday, 15 June 2014 at 15:31:40 UTC, Brian Rogoff wrote:

Notice that in his post and the comments, a recurring (negative) issue is garbage collection. This is pretty common with mentions of D on reddit too, always a few posters mentioning D's GC as a negative. So many of those comments could be made obsolete by a decent precise garbage collector,

D prides itself for being a "no forced paradigms" language. You don't have to write all in OO, or all in functional style, or do everyting with metaprogramming. D is a "practical programming language for practical programmers".

Now, D still not working properly and fluently without GC negates the above sales talk.

OS-people and Games people, as well as real-time people all have legitimate reasons for needing to ditch GC in their work. I know GC has been a religious issue from day 1 with D, but that has to change. We got rid of the Bit Data Type, so we should be able to relegate GC into Optional category.

Having done that, we will find most programs will use GC, but not all, and not everywhere, just like there will be some OO and some functional style and some templates in almost all programs.