On 27 June 2014 11:16, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d@puremagic.com> wrote:
> On 6/26/2014 7:24 PM, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 10:57:28PM +0000, Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d
>> wrote:

>>> Yep.  A lot of this is probably because as a server programmer
>>> I've just gotten used to finding bugs this way as a matter of
>>> necessity, but in many cases I actually prefer it to interactive
>>> debugging.  For example, build core.demangle with -debug=trace
>>> and -debug=info set.
>>

>> Over the years, I've come to prefer printf debugging too.
>>
>> At my job I work with headless embedded systems, and interactive
>> debugging can only be done remotely.
>

> Aye. Sometimes in embedded work, you're *lucky* if you can even do printf at
> all, let alone a debugger. I've had to debug with as little as one LED.
> It's...umm..."interesting". And time consuming. Especially when it's ASM.
> (But somewhat of a proud-yet-twisted rite of passage though ;) )
>
> There's other times I've had to get by without debuggers too. Like, in the
> earlier days of web dev, it was common to not have a debugger. Or debugging
> JS problems that only manifested on Safari (I assume Safari probably has JS
> diagnostics/debugging now, but it didn't always. That was a pain.)

Aye, I wrote my former company's PSP engine with nothing more than the
unit's power light as a debugging tool (at least until I managed to
initialise the display hardware and render something).
I would while(1) around the place... if it reached that point, the
power light stayed on. If it crashed before it reached that point, the
power light went off (after a 20 second delay, which made every single
execution a suspenseful experience!).