On Friday, 26 September 2014 at 04:37:06 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d wrote:

So basically, we're paying (1) lower performance, (2) non-random access for strings, (3) subtle distinction between index and count and other
such gotchas, and (4) tons of special-cased Phobos code with the
associated maintenance costs, all for incomplete Unicode correctness.
Doesn't seem like the benefit measures up to the cost. :-(

Yep. When I use algorithms on strings in D, I always cast them to ubyte[]. Which is a poor solution.