On Thursday, 13 November 2014 at 09:36:26 UTC, Manu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
On 13 November 2014 10:57, Walter Bright wrote:
This is good news for D! It lowers the bar for writing 64 bit D code on Windows, and it also enables us to abandon support for versions of VS prior
to 2013.

Many, many corporate VS users get stuck on legacy versions of VS for a very long time. We still use VS2010 at work for instance, with no plan to upgrade. It would be a shame to lose legacy VS support, but I think the focus should certainly emphasise these future releases.

It's perfectly possible to install newer versions side-by-side and even combine the new IDE with the old crap compiler for transitioning, which I've done since the very first CTP. Starting with 2013 the express editions are also fully usable and only lack plugin support.
The rest is just excuses.