On Monday, 8 December 2014 at 08:46:49 UTC, bearophile wrote:
Freddy:

Why not keep size_t implictly convertable but disallow it for
usize.

This is an interesting idea. (But the name "uword" seems better).

The char, wchar (word char) and dchar (double word char) types seem to disagree. The "word=2bytes" historical rule is rooted too deeply. An "uword" will also be very confusing alongside lower level code (e.g. assembler).

Personally, when I face the need for a size_t, I usually can (and do) use auto instead. And even if I have to spell it, I don't care too much how it's called, only whether it can be easily recognized.