On 01/01/15 05:48, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d wrote:
But on a deeper note, perhaps the issue isn't really ddoc syntax per se,
but the fact that doc comments can *only* be processed by ddoc. If there
was a way to get the raw text out, the people who dislike ddoc can pipe
it to the formatter of their own choice, and they would be happy. People
who are indifferent will get ddoc by default, which, despite its flaws,
isn't really *that* horrible.

That's pretty much the very charter of ddoc- most misunderstood tool ever.
Luckily I'll send some pull requests that simplify generation - some time
next year :o)

My problem is very much the opposite: it's not that only ddoc can process ddoc syntax, it's that raw ddoc syntax is, often, not very human-readable. For me it's very important that the documentation should be trivially comprehensible _when browsing source code_, and too often Ddoc markup prevents that.