On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 07:44:24 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
On 1/17/15 11:42 PM, DaveG wrote:
On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 04:44:56 UTC, Israel wrote:
On Sunday, 18 January 2015 at 02:18:16 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
I took the better part of today working on this:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/pull/780. See
demo at http://erdani.com/d/.

What do you all think? Is it an improvement over what we have now?

I'd appreciate your help with reviewing and pulling this, and also with improving the colors (which I'm terrible at) and page tracking
as mentioned in the pull request.

I'm no designer, but I do have some comments. Without consistency it just looks a bunch of parts rather than a singular thing. Some elements have gradients, some don't. Some elements have round corners, some don't. Elements with borders use different widths, some have none. In regards to borders, we engineering types (maybe it's just me) tend to put boxes around stuff to represent discrete units when basic design concepts, like proximity and contrast, may be better suited for the
task. I just took a quick pass at it in the browser:
Original: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114394/D-site/current.png Cleanup: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114394/D-site/001.png Cleanup w/o bg: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/114394/D-site/002.png

Think "consistency and subtlety". Good design generally goes unnoticed.

Looking good. Could you please do a pull request after mine gets in? Thanks! -- Andrei

The thing with the red gradients looks incredibly horrible/ bad constrast actually makes it physically (eye strain) unpleasant. The cleanup looks better, but now the site has 3 columns with 3 different styles (not just colors, but e.g. flat vs gradient, edgy vs rounded, having that extra border on the bottom vs not having it)

Dlang.org needs design by a designer, not by art-insensitive programmers. No, I'm not much of a designer either, unfortunately. But it should not be too hard to find a student with decent art sense who can do much better than this.

Also, note that the collapsible menu can be done in pure CSS, no JS needed, which would allow it to work consistently even with NoScript.