On 1/21/15 1:14 AM, Joakim wrote:
On Wednesday, 21 January 2015 at 08:41:47 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 1/21/2015 12:19 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d wrote:
The Emacs D-Mode will only improve if people provide bug reports and
fixes. A number of people are doing this for their "pain points". If the
Emacs D-Mode is substandard for you, can you at least submit issues
presenting the problems.

I wonder why software companies still make it impossible to submit bug
reports. For example, google:

"submit windows movie maker bug report"

Click on "Reporting and solving computer problems - Windows":

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/reporting-and-solving-computer-problems

Note that there is actually no way to report a problem to Microsoft,
in spite of what the headings say.

Heh, considering Bill Gates couldn't even figure out how to _download_
Movie Maker a decade ago, you're way ahead of the game: ;)

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/2008/06/24/full-text-an-epic-bill-gates-e-mail-rant/

Yah, that's a good read. FWIW the right answer here is to vote with one's feet - there's plenty of video processing software in the free world.

I find this utterly baffling. Why make it so difficult to report a
bug? Microsoft has always been like this, the only way I've ever been
able to submit a bug report was if I had a friend on the inside who'd
carry it in for me.

This is probably why Windows Movie Maker is such a buggy program. It
hangs constantly, generates corrupt files when creating a movie file
longer than 2G (about 2 hours), etc.

Probably because Microsoft has so many millions of users that their bug
tracker would be awash with noise.

Even better. At Facebook we use statistics and machine learning to derive excellent signal from large inputs.