On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 18:53:45 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Sunday, 25 January 2015 at 21:50:53 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
And beyond slower execution speed of Java, the memory bloat makes a big difference given how cloud pricing works (its peanuts to get a machine with a gig of ram, but 64 gig is not so cheap, and quickly gets very expensive - and one may need hundreds of machines).

Yes, but memory bloat is not D's strength either until manual memory management is addressed in a satisfactory manner. Rust is way ahead.

It seems to me (as a newcomer) that often with D it is the gap between what the language wants to be, and the present reality that upsets people, whereas pragmatically it remains much better than the alternatives even if you have to do a bit of extra work to allocate manually. It is like seeing a beautiful woman marred by a flaw that you just can't seem to ignore until you get to know her as a person. (No apologies for sexism here). The problems of garbage collection in D seem different to those of GC (and memory bloat) in Java whereas people hear GC and not quite perfect and they instantly slot it into their mental slot of GC collected languages, which means Java.

Does Rust have the productivity of D? And it doesn't have the maturity, as I understand it.