On Monday, 26 January 2015 at 22:05:55 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:

I don't know F#. I know what you mean, but I don't think the competition to D consists of crappy languages - there are some very smart and creative people with large resources working on them (putting aside the question of the tone one should adopt in public towards peers).

That's exactly what I'm saying. Against C or C++, D looks fantastic. But those aren't great languages. But what's the argument for D beyond that? How can people using non-awful languages be persuaded to even have interest?

It's not for me to say, but D isn't a product like toothpaste where you are trying to elbow aside the competition, but one where it needs to be the best 'D' it can be, and communicate that well to people and make it easy for them to take advantage of what it has to offer.

And that's what bugs me; that even if D is good and has a lot to offer, the pitch doesn't communicate it well. The important part of that exchange that I hoped people would fixate on was this:

"I don't understand what the point of D is either because once you've already accepted a GC there are better languages you could use."

This indicates to me that there's a problem of messaging.