On 2009-10-11 14:13:22 +0200, Michel Fortin <michel.for...@michelf.com> said:

On 2009-10-11 03:56:55 -0400, "Denis Koroskin" <2kor...@gmail.com> said:

I submitted a few Phobos bugs to bugzilla. They are still not addressed. Having 2-3 people with write access to Phobos is clearly not enough - there is not enough human power. That's bugzilla entries are left without answers, bugs are not fixed.

I don't submit them anymore. It just doesn't work. I see a lot of quirks in Phobos, huge performance problems (it allocates every time, often without any reason) and just typos. Given a direct svn access, I could easily fix some of them, but I'm too lazy to waste my time on creating one line long patches, making bugzilla reports, etc. And what then? Waiting like 3 years until they are addressed? No, thanks.

Somehow I wonder if a distributed versioning system wouldn't be better to encourage public participation and make it easy for maintainers to accept patches.

It would, systems like git make it far easier to fork/diff/merge than Subversion. Subversion is a bit of a pain, where you end up either having no version management except for a diff against the upstream repository or a local subversion tree that does not have a relation with the Phobos tree.

Of course, you could partically go distributed by using git-svn to check out the Phobos Subversion repository.

-- Daniel