On 6/8/2015 8:52 PM, Joakim wrote:
They could do something like D when it jumped to 2.0, except with better
migration paths.  With some careful planning and automated source conversion
tools nowadays, it doesn't have to be that bad.  The idea is you keep the C++
knowledge that is accumulated by all those devs over the years, but make
breaking changes that allow the language to get much better and cleaner.  One of
the main changes I'd pursue is getting rid of the preprocessor, though I don't
know how feasible that is.

It's feasible.

For example, they could introduce version and static if to replace conditional compilation.