On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 11:58:35 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 6/12/15 3:36 AM, Paulo Pinto wrote:
On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 04:51:29 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
On 6/11/15 11:47 PM, Joakim wrote:
On Friday, 12 June 2015 at 02:13:26 UTC, Dan Olson wrote:
Looks like there is no membership fee to build and install your own iOS apps with Xcode now. As usual, you still need a Mac to run Xcode.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-allows-anyone-to-download-build-and-sideload-ios-apps-for-free/

Huh, that's crazy that they don't make the iOS toolchain available outside OS X. The Android toolchain is available for all three major desktop platforms. Still, good that at least you don't have to pay now.

You can develop for iOS on other platforms (I think not using
objective-c or swift), but you cannot submit an app to the app store
without Xcode.

Really, I don't see why Apple needs to care about other platforms -- it's their toolchain, their runtime. This makes things very easy for them support-wise, and people still line up to get iPhones, so the
incentive to support other platforms isn't really there.

At dconf, I'd say at least 50% of the laptops were macs. They are good
systems to use.

The cost is really minimal if you are serious. A Mac Mini costs $500
new, and you get Xcode free.

The minimum wage in Portugal is around 400€ after taxes, with around
1000€ for many university degrees.

You can guess how many go out and buy a Mac.

Those who are serious and willing to invest will buy one. I bought my macbook in 2011 for about $1800, I've made more than 50x that with it since doing iOS work.

If you want to make minimum wage, I can guess you shouldn't buy a mac :)

-Steve

Which wouldn't happen in Portugal, where it is easier to see someone on the street with Android, WP, feature phone than iOS.

While most handsets are bought with pre-paid cards, iPhone requires a contract.

Before Apple was reborn, buying a Mac meant having to travel to Porto or Lisbon and get one there, with leasing. Same thing to get them repaired.

My university in Lisbon (UNL) was the first time I got to see LCs live, even then only used by administrative personal and one room for students with around 10 of them.

Everywhere else on the campus there were DG/UX, Aix terminals and PCs available.

Nowadays you can get them everywhere at a big surface, but for most families still means making use of 3 - 5 years leasing, given the average salaries and life cost.

--
Paulo