On Tuesday, 23 June 2015 at 08:49:45 UTC, Chris wrote:
On Saturday, 20 June 2015 at 17:10:27 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
On 06/20/2015 12:34 PM, ketmar wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 12:23:59 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

let's compare numbers for php, java, ruby, js -- and D. most companies will not bet on language for which a pool of "hireable" developers is small. and it's understandable: two developers quit, and the project is
dead, doomed to complete rewrite in another language. sheesh!

Well, not really. I mean, managers and HR all *believe* that to be so. But that's because pretty much all non-programmers, even ones in the software dev industry who really should know better, are stuck in this bizarre idea that programming skills are somehow non-transferable between languages. Which is obviously total bullcrap, but try explaining that to self-assured HR folk and other pointy-hairs.

Hell, my first introduction to JS, ASP (yea, it was a long time ago) and web-dev in general was on-the-job as a fresh hire, and I was up to speed in like a week or so, if even that.

The one thing relevant here that has *never* left my mind:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/ThePerilsofJavaSchools.html

Favorite part:
"The recruiters-who-use-grep, by the way, are ridiculed here, and for good reason. I have never met anyone who can do Scheme, Haskell, and C pointers who can't pick up Java in two days, and create better Java code than people with five years of experience in Java, but try explaining that to the average HR drone."

So true.

Yeah. A guy I know had a hard time finding a job with Java. HR would always demand experience with this or that build tool and stuff like this. As if you couldn't learn this in a week or less, at least enough to be able to contribute to a project. Actual programming skills never seemed to be really important. Weird.

And as a consequence,  we see:
http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2015/06/the-time-needed-to-fill-jobs.html

The present state of hiring processes can't go on, and so it won't.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Good-People-Cant-Jobs-ebook/dp/B00850ZOKI