On Wednesday, 24 June 2015 at 13:04:29 UTC, Martin Drašar wrote:
Dne 24.6.2015 v 14:15 Chris via Digitalmars-d napsal(a):
Sure, this smells like a job description tailor made for someone they already have in mind. However, I wonder what "experience" means. "Yeah, I've played around with Java and C++" or "I'm really into the two languages and know them very well". People who do research for their PhD in computational linguistics are often _familiar_ with programming languages but not necessarily to a degree that allows them to write real world production code, because it is very hard to excel in programming, data algorithms, NLP and academic research (literature review, writing the PhD) at the same time.

If you let researchers write production code, you are asking for troubles. And that comes from someone who is doing research, is a programming enthusiast and had programming as a day job for some time.

That's what I mean. You either program or you do research. If you do research, all programs are proofs-of-concept (with papers and journals in mind).

If I made such job add, the most important for me would be the ML experience and publication skills. This is something you can't teach in a short time. As for the rest of it - it would be good enough that the candidates would not hurt themselves while using those tools and languages. At least there will be less unlearning to do...

Martin