On Tuesday, 14 July 2015 at 20:11:53 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 7/14/2015 4:01 AM, "Ola Fosheim =?UTF-8?B?R3LDuHN0YWQi?= <ola.fosheim.grostad+dl...@gmail.com>" wrote:
I basically don't care about raw throughput, but latency and meeting real time deadlines. Instrumentation can be useful… but I consider that "debugging".

I infer from that that you aren't using profilers. I've said before and many times that if you're not using a profiler, you aren't getting top performance. You just aren't. Just like you aren't going to get an efficient airplane shape without wind tunnel tests. Too many variables.

No… You infer way too much. I use a profiler IF I have a performance issue, but not otherwise. There is no point. I know exactly where time is spent. I don't care about average performance, I care about _worst_ case consumption within a real time thread (think IRQ). And I know exactly what it does. Performance here means evening out the load over many frames so that I don't get spikes on a single frame...

Why would I care about whether I have 40% or 50% idle CPU? I don't. I care about not having spikes and that basically takes planning, not profiling.