On Wednesday, 15 July 2015 at 00:28:47 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
I am happy if I see that I have consistent 20% headroom, and I am not going to be happier by making my program faster...

But then why optimizations would matter? If the program is fast, you won't improve it by improving performance by 2 times: it will remain fast, and if it's slow, it's probably an algorithmic complexity. You said it yourself that to get performance from C you need extensions, it's not provided by C semantics itself.