On 10/17/09 04:22, Eric Suen wrote:
"Lutger" wrote
Jacob Carlborg wrote:

Here is my thoughts and what I think is needed to build a really good
IDE and maybe get some attention from the enterprise. It's really not
enough for the compiler to output some json for an IDE to use, the whole
tool chain needs to be revised.

I think this list is what the toolchain might look like after it already
has
gotten some attention, not a requirement of what is needed.

This is a cut-down list with some comments:

Compiler:
   * Supports all major platform
   * 32 and 64bit support
   * Doesn't have annoying bugs like forward reference errors and problem
     with the linker
   * Can build dynamic libraries
   * Supports incremental builds

Clearly many programming languages manage without a compiler written in
their native language and I doubt clang is even used in enterprise
context.

Because of many programming language is not design for speed, there is
no point to write a compiler in there native language. Even Java's compiler
is writtern in Java, why not D? Compiler bootstrapping is very basic
technique,
A large proportion of programming languages are bootstrapped. It is nosense
write D compiler in C, that means the D language author does not want to use
D language. Does Walter Bright use D for any projects himself?

Regards,

Eric

I think it says somewhere on the digitalmars site that there is not much gain in porting an existing project to D but all new projects will be in D. DMDScript (ECMA 262 also know as JavaScript) is written in D.